Monday, November 5, 2007

Five Months Pregnant

My most creative time has been when I was pregnant with my sons. My first art exhibit was created when I was five months pregnant with Jonah, early 2001. This is when the Lord prompted me to study the word, reflect, then produce my interpretation of scripture through watercolor and canvas.

The first study was Seven Days of Creation and the six chapters of Ephesian. I pondered the divine thought, "in the beginning was the Word, the Word was God and the Word was with God". I thought about the infinite power of God, his omnipresence which enabled him to be present in the old testament and new testament at the same time. God inspiring Moses to articulate creation and Paul to write the book of Ephesians. This stoked my interest. I began to study. I took a cross section of each day of creation and compared it to each book of Ephesians. Day One: Chapter One, Day Two: Chapter Two and so on.
SEE LATER POST FOR ARTWORK.

So I am pregnant with Jude, I am five months pregnant, but this time around I am working and do not have the freedom to paint all day. This past January, I was asked to help "design" the St. John the Divine women's retreat. I brainstormed with my sister Jessica months before and we came up with an amazing array for the women. Our focus being Joy. It was my job to design the table decorations and Jessica and I came up with the idea to have them change every time the women came for a session. The Saturday morning session would have a 3x3 ft. piece of butcher block paper. The night before I laid them out 12ftx12ft and painted the word "Joy" over the entire spread. Each paper represented a piece of the puzzle.

I instructed the women to use this abstract design on the paper to draw, write down thoughts, inspiration, words from Holly Leachman (our speaker) anything they wanted. Each piece of the puzzle was adorned. Later that night, as we set up for the TAIZE service, I tacked the pieces of the puzzle together on the wall. The ladies had no idea that the table covers came together to make a bigger piece of art that spelled out JOY.

This had a huge impact on me, sharing the idea that we are the pieces of the puzzle that make up the body of Christ. So lovely and individual alone, but together representing the body of Christ.

I was worried that I would be too busy to create an exibit for Jude. I could not leave him out of the experience. That night at the TAIZE service the Lord showed me that he had already created the exibit. It was in the art piece JOY that the women and I had created.

No comments: