Monday, November 5, 2007

The Map


Now that I had my thumbnail sketches and color palate, it was time to enlarge to 22x22in canvases. The anxiety was there. Will I be able to do it, will people like it, will I mess up, can I get it done. Every time I had doubt I went to the map...the thumbnails. That is exactly what they look like, that is exactly what color to paint.


Two Sunday's ago I put the first layers of color down. I wanted to paint and paint and paint, but I had promised the boys a picnic with friends. We had to leave and I had a cup full of red paint. The time spent painting is so annointed I did not want to waste the paint, sort of like when the Priest consecrates the wine you do not just pour it down the sink, it is injested or it is poured into a sink pipe that goes directly back in the earth. I did not want to waste the paint so I went to the MAP. Where do I need red paint? I had not started paintings 12, 15, 16, 9 and 10 but they needed red paint, so I slathered it on without thinking. I did not need to think because I was following the MAP.

I have shared this meditation with so many over the last two weeks. We do not need to be anxious about anything. We have the word of God. When we get doubtful, confused, rushed or tired and things are not clear...go to Word. It is our map. We don't need to think just act as Christ. Follow his lead, His example, His teachings and His Living Word. We call it living because it is living within us.

No comments: